Depression is a serious medical illness that negatively affects how one feels, thinks and behaves. It’s a condition of mental and mood disturbance, typically with lack of energy and difficulty maintaining concentration in normal day to day life. Depression can affect ones emotional and physical wellbeing.
Most of us feel sad and depressed at times and it’s a normal reaction to any loss, life’s ups & downs but when the feeling of sadness, hopeless, and helplessness become intensive, lasting from many days to weeks not allowing one to function normally it is depression.
Many people are unaware about the signs and symptoms of depression and for this reason they never seek treatment.
Signs & Symptoms of Depression:
- Feelings of guilt, or helplessness,
- Low energy or increased fatigue,
- Irritability and restlessness,
- Feelings of worthlessness,
- Gaining weight, or weight loss,
- Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or oversleeping,
- Unable to concentrate or remember details,
- Restlessness or irritability,
- Difficulty in thinking or making decisions,
- Suicidal thoughts or attempts to suicide.
- Loss of interest in daily chores, hobbies, sex, etc.
- Physical issues such as aches and pains, digestive problems etc.
To read more about different types of depression, click here.